Congratulations to author and human rights activist Razan al-Maghrabi, receipient of the 2015 Oxfam Novib/PEN Awards for Freedom of Expression. According to PEN International Executive Director Carles Torner, ‘This award is not only our way of honouring courageous writers and journalists who continue to fight for freedom of expression at great personal risk, it is also a way of telling those who seek to silence them that the world is watching.’
Read more about Razan and the award here.
Congratulations also to Egyptian human rights activist Kholoud Saber, recipient of the 2014 Roger N. Baldwin Medal of Liberty from Human Rights First. “The public space for civil society and civic participation in Egypt is increasingly dangerous, especially for women, who have been subjected to rampant sexual assault and harassment. Saber’s heroic work restores dignity to women who have been victims of these crimes and gives hope and strength to all those working for a free society in Egypt. We salute her bravery and perseverance, and we are honored to recognize her important work with this award,” said Human Rights First’s President and CEO Elisa Massimino.
Read more about Kholoud and the award here.
- Mozn Hassan receives Charlotte Bunch Human Rights Defender Award
- Prominent Egyptian Lawyer Declared Defendant for Giving Testimony on Killing of Shaima ElSabbagh
- Woman Human Rights Defender Shaimaa ElSabbagh Killed in Egypt
- Statement from the Regional Coalition of Women Human Rights Defenders in Middle East and North Africa
- Prominent Woman Human Rights Defender to be kept in custody in Egypt