December 9, 2015: The Syria Justice and Accountability Centre (SJAC) and InterAction held an event on sexual and gender based violence (SGBV) in the Syrian conflict.Speakers included ICAN Co-Founder and MENA Programming Director, Sussan Tahmasebi, Ambassador Steven Steiner from the United States Institute of Peace (USIP), and Cindy Dyer from Vital Voices. Shabnam Mojtahedi, SJAC’s Legal and Strategy Analyst, moderated the panel after first explaining the impetus behind SJAC’s recent report, Societal Attitudes toward SGBV in Syria.
Tahmasebi described her experiences working in Islamic communities addresses issues of SGBV, specifically discussing anti-sexual harassment activities in Egypt. She advocates for the vital to work with indigenous civil society groups to advance women’s rights so that impacts are sustained, and she advises the international community to think long-term and build the capacities of local groups to address the needs of their communities.
- Realizing Real Peace in Syria
- Anderlini Discusses Including Nonviolent Civil Society Actors in Peace Talks on Syria
- Building A More Inclusive Political Transition in Syria
- Options for Action in Syria: A Nonpartisan Statement of Concern by Conflict Resolution Professionals
- Syria: Call for immediate release of human rights lawyer Khalil Ma’touq