Founded in 2006, ICAN is a US based non-profit organization whose mission is to support civil society activism in promoting women’s rights, peace and human security in countries affected by conflict, transition and closed political space. ICAN aims to support women’s efforts through bridging the divisions between activists and the policy community, elevating the voices and experiences of women activists, building skills, and ensuring the exchange of knowledge and resources.
Our Vision is a world founded on peace, equality and respect for pluralism.
Our Core Principles
- ICAN operates on the basis of mutual respect and partnership with local organizations and the comparative advantages (ranging from access to resources and policymaking to networks & constituencies) that national and international NGOs bring to a partnership.
- We support women’s peace efforts by bridging the divisions between activists and the policy com
munity, building skills, and ensuring the exchange of knowledge and resources.
- ICAN does not operate independently in any country. We work with and through partners.
Our Mission is to support the effective participation of women-led civil society in influencing national and international policies and processes to promote rights, peace, pluralism and security in countries affected by violence, repression, extremism and transition.
Our Services & Areas of Expertise
- Gendered early warning, political and security situation analyses
- Inclusivity, gender & mediation
- Countering/ preventing violent extremism with a gendered lens
- Grant making in conflict an fragile states
- Male gender issues in conflict and fragile settings
- Women’s rights and activism in Islamic contexts
- Executive training and institutional action planning for gender mainstreaming and integration of the Women, Peace and Security priorities in development and diplomacy
- Trainings on gendered dimensions of: transitional justice, socioeconomic recovery, constitutional processes, disarmament/demobilization/reintegration, and security sector reform
- Movement and coalition building in politically closed and transitioning contexts
- Peer-to-peer & south-south knowledge exchange
- Using media to raise public awareness of the Women, Peace and Security.